Tuesday, October 24, 2006

on the road again


ok... the image and the comments have no relation, but...
I was reading on Yahoo news yeterday, an article about being great at what you do , and talent.
They were basically saying that no one really has talent.
Maybe we just have better ability to put purselves through certain process, but, as they put it, targeted talents just don't exist.
All it takes is a LOT of work.
Hard and Smart work to become great.

That actually inspired me.
I used to be the kid who couldn't draw.
I started doing stick figures when I was in six grade, and would tell stories like that.
I figured that if I wanted to do stuff like Gaston, Asterix, or spiderman, I'd better learn how to draw.
And I pushed myself.
I guess I got somewhere...

Lately. I have been feeling as if I wasn't going anywhere anymore.
Now, I'm actually happy to learn again!

Anyone ever feel that?


ok.. that was my tuesday philosophical spiel..
Let's not make it a habit

5 comments:

mike said...

wow- both you and sarah are inspirational today!

i've always said that everyone has the ability to draw. some people just want to more then others is all. :)

this goes for a lot of things...

and lovely illo as always. :D

sarah said...

Yes! Lovely lovely illustration. The steep hill with the tree jutting out is a nice touch :)

And good/interesting point. I feel like I've always enjoyed art ever since I was little, but when it comes to ability, it's always been about learning. That perspective always cheers me up too... I like that even though I may have artistic weaknesses it doesn't mean I can't work to improve them :)

Iain said...

Awesome image, I love how you use colors.

Also, awesome of you to say that about talent. It always bothers me when people say "oh, I could never do that". I think anyone can be as good as they want at anything they want, as long as they're willing to put in the work. I wish more people knew that "natural talent" is a myth.

Sam Nielson said...

Great picture! I also agree wholeheartedly with the post. I do think some people have a natural propensity toward certain abilities, but that doesn't change the fact that anyone else can do the same thing with enough knowledge and practice.

pascal said...

HA!
I guess I'm not the only one feeling like this then.
This is great actually.

I just met that young artist who is just "DA bomb" in her style, and gave me a kick in the ass as to waking up and pushing forward again.
feels great..like exercicing...I hate it when I have to get down and do it, but it sure feels good after.